REPORT CARD FORUMS
Report Card forums engage partners who are responsible for implementing recovery actions in discussions about successes, barriers to progress, potentially inconsistent actions, and assistance needed to advance their work.
Since late 2013, the Leadership Council has convened Report Card forums addressing a variety of issues:
- Water resources and habitat
- Chinook salmon recovery
- Pollution identification and correction programs
- Shoreline armoring
Discussions at the forums have identified successes that might be replicated elsewhere, such as overseeing hard armoring of shorelines through permitting as a conditional use. The forums have also highlighted key implementation challenges, such as motivating homeowners to remove or forego shoreline armoring.
As a direct result of these forums, the Partnership focused attention—and funding—on a selection of Near Term Actions in the 2012 Action Agenda that were behind schedule and in need of extra support. This additional support led to the completion of actions that would have remained unaddressed without the emphasis provided by the forums.
Examples include the following:
- A review of common constraints and opportunities in county-level strategies provided the basis for recommendations for keeping agricultural lands in production and benefiting ecosystem recovery.
- Legal exemptions related to shoreline and habitat effects on salmon have been identified and are being considered by the Salmon Recovery Council and Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission.
- A new geographic information system tool was developed so partners can identify priority shoreline areas for protection.